Sunday, June 5, 2011

Memories

Hammond, Indiana

This is a bit of my history.
This is where I shopped when I was in my teens. 
There were no Malls in those days.
  At that Walgreen Drug store pictured, memories flow of when my mom took me there to eat my first dining out meal.  I remember having a hot beef sandwich-beef on white bread with gravy on top. 



You will see a Penneys Store pictured above.  My Aunt Amy worked there.  I always had to stop in and say "Hi" 
Cousin Davey lives close to that now in a historic house. 
Now, most of those stores are no longer there.

I rode a bus from the corner of my block to Hammond. You will see lots of buses and we rode them a lot. Before my older teen years I would often shop there with my mother.













Thanks to my friend Sandra W. for sending me these old photo's.
It stirred many tender, happy memories.
And to this site for posting the images.

6 comments:

Jen said...

That was neat. Post most stuff about your life. I like it-a lot!

Had no idea Walgreens was a diner.

Pedaling said...

What a treasure.
Great pictures and memories.
Love this post!

sweet older sister said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sweet older sister said...

Those buildings look familiar to me! I think my first out to eat meal was the same as yours! I especially remember the ‘ice-cream chocolate soda”. And yes, it was the drug store that provided these treats.

I like the picture with the snow and probably wind! Always the trains! I also, remember you taking me to say hello to Aunt Amy, but did she still work at the Pennys then or another dept store?

Is that last picture the bridge from East Chicago to Hammond?

Krista said...

i loved this post too...share more stories and memories of you growing up and before i knew you...i love learning more about you and your life!

sandyseashells said...

Very cool.
I'm so glad you posted this information. These memories of yours are very interesting to me.
Walgreen's, Penny's, Spiegles, & Grant's. I didn't realize they have been around that long.
Keep Posting!